Thursday, May 03, 2007

home

It's about 3:30 am and I just finished feeding Owen his middle of the night feeding here at home.  I say home, and then quickly think to add, "my mom's house, in the states".  Then it dawns on me, home is such a relative term to me.  Isn't that weird?  Most people can say home and mean just one thing.  To me, home is truly where my family is at any given moment.  It could be our little Honda.  The one we had last year as we toured the US, one state at a time while doing partnership development for 5 months.  All I needed to be home was Joel and Jack!  Several months later it meant a great little house in Salatiga, Indonesia.  It was the most different place I've ever lived and had some serious challenges in store for us but Joel and Jack were there and so it was home!  This night finds me missing what I will call home again in a few months, Indonesia.  Yet here I am in Springfield, in my parents house, with my husband and two sons and the greatest Nanni in all the world and I am home. 

 

Owen has now joined the family, adding one more little Potter to the equation and as I sat here feeding him, I looked into his eyes and felt so at home.  I sure hope as he and his big brother grow up, even though home may be a different place all too often, they can look into my eyes, Joel's eyes, each other's eyes and know they are always home when we are there.  Even better, I pray that some day, even when we are all not around, they will have chosen a relationship with Christ that allows them to always be at home with Him, no matter where they are.  It is such a great comfort to me to know that I have that relationship so that no matter where I am or who I am with, I know I always have a home, someone to share this journey with and even though I may not have a roof and four walls, I am always at home.

 

Bethany

2 comments:

Snwwhite said...

more and more i am understanding what that means...the relativeness of home - right now home is in Germany - but also in the states - it get's a little confusing sometimes - but I hope it helps me relate to my MK girls - and my fiance and family... a bit better

Bek. said...

I so get what you mean Bethany. It's been funny for me to begin to think of North Jersey as home becuase it is so foreign to where I've lived in the past. But it truely is home. I love it here. Home is where your family and friends are and on that note, I must have at least 5 homes but they are all great.
I love you!