Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Today's scare! And another reason to get this language!!

Well, today I think my heart might have stopped beating!  We were in class, it was around 11:30 – almost done and Joel’s phone rang.  It was our home number calling – uh oh, that’s not good. Our pembantus never would call unless something was wrong.  Joel left to answer the call and I would have joined him, but the teacher was calling on me to answer the next question.  I was so distracted I got it completely wrong and then excused myself from class to find Joel and see what was going on.  He was listening to our Pembantu say something on the phone and then said, “Sebantar” – just a moment, and handed the phone to me. 

There was worry in her voice as I thought I heard her say, Jack’s very hot, he wouldn’t eat or drink he’s been crying a lot and he’s been sleeping all morning but I can’t wake him up!”  Panic struck my heart and I said, “kami pulang, sekarang!” – we’re coming home right now!  We gathered our stuff and hopped on our motorbik, (I was so thankful to have it now as it’s a ten to fifteen minute walk and I don’t think I could have stood that!) going as fast as was safe to get home.  When we got there, Jack was in Ibu Nur’s arms and looking like a baby looks when they have a fever – a far off look in his eyes.  But he was awake!  Oh, my heart just beat all the faster.  Thank God it wasn’t what I thought! He was burning up and I took him to hold him as he wimpered.  I asked her what happened and it turns out I misunderstood her completely. 

He was fine until around 9am and then she put him down for his nap. He slept for only 20 minutes and woke up crying and wouldn’t be consoled – very unusual for him.  She tried to give him his cup of milk but he didn’t want it, then offered him a snack and got the same response.  All the while he was feeling very warm and getting hotter. By the time she called, she was very worried.  I know she did everything she could to figure out how to help him during that time and I am so thankful that I know she will always take good care of him.  I am still not sure how I got that he wouldn’t wake up from what she said, but I do know that it is a new motivation for learning this language.  Jack has fought the fever all day, but is sleeping peacefully now and hopefully we can just chalk it up to teething.  When you all are praying for us each day, and you pray for wisdom and peace, this is one of those tangible ways we benefit from your prayers.  This is a country of many unknowns yet to us but we have peace knowing that it is all known to our creator.  Even our little boy is in His hands and we can trust Him!  Bethany

5 comments:

Snwwhite said...

Sounds like a scary situation - I'm glad that Jack was all right. I am praying for you guys - keep trusting him and he will help as unknowns slowly become knowns. I love you guys -God bless - Christine

Anonymous said...

My poor baby. Nani will pray that my Jack will be all better. God knows all about you and He loves you very much. Poppy and I love you too. Drink lots and rest lots. Tell mom and dad to rest too. God is in control of everything.
Love Nani

Bek. said...

Oh B! I can just imagine how you must have felt (I was nervous just reading your blog until I got down to the part where you said he was awake).
I'm so thankful he's doing better.
I'll be praying for you all as I go to bed-you should be going home from class soon.
I love you!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys--we'll be praying for him & continue to pray for your language/culture learning. God bless!
Adam & Crys (& Lily)

Joe and Terri said...

Praise God for keeping in touch through this blog site. Thank God Jack is just having something normal like teething. I knew it would end well because of the title of the blog but still it sounded very scary to me too. It also sounds like you have a good Pembantu. Please thank her for us too. We will pray right now for your little guy.
Love and prayers, Gramps & Gram