Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Be encouraged!

We are now into Unit 3 of our language study and so far so good! I was visiting with a neighbor today and was so encouraged as we talked that I understood much of what she was saying. It seems that we are visiting longer and understanding more each day and that is such an encouragement. Ibu Asi told me today that with patience, slowly but surely I will get this language as long as I keep talking and studying. We have wonderful neighbors who are so patient and understanding with us. They are a constant source of encouragement as we plug away at language learning.

As for us personally, we are doing well. I’ll start with the youngest Potter who has grown more than an inch in 2 months. Whew! Jack has all his teeth but his 12 year molars and is toddling around the house like he’s the king of the castle. He has everyone wrapped around his sweet smile and giggle and our Pembantus (house helpers) are beginning to think he hung the moon in the sky. He is learning what “no” means – about 50 times a day J and can even say “no no” now while pointing to the things he’s not allowed to play with. He is testing the boundaries but with God’s enablement, he is finding them to be strong and unmoveable, providing him with great security, we hope. Please pray for us as we raise him here in a very different culture. We want to honor God as we raise him but also we know we must be careful in how our neighbors perceive us as we train him. There are lots of photos on the web log of our handsome little man!

Joel just celebrated his 28th birthday this past weekend and he celebrated it in true Joel style. On Friday, he and I went about an hour and a half away to a coffee plantation! It was so fun to take the tour and see how the coffee grows, the different varieties and then how it is dried and roasted here in Indonesia. We even got to drink some straight from the roaster! I think it only made him love it more! He also has just finished processing the coffee from our own yard and we drank it this morning! It was delicious and I was so proud that my husband picked, dried, husked, roasted and brewed his own coffee for us to enjoy. Oh that you were here to share a cup with us. Again, photos of this are on the web log!

I, Bethany am doing well. I was surprised to find out that yes, in fact you can get bronchitis in a tropical climate. It followed me all the way around the world. I am now all but recovered and am back to classes again, after missing a week. I am enjoying my new found freedom on my motorbike. Yes, me – I drive a motorcycle, can you believe it? I have already been able to use it to take friends, who cannot yet drive here, to town and on errands. I love it! I guess that’s one more reason we need your prayers. I am teaching two English classes a week at our home, one for kids and one for adults. It has been a great way for me to learn more Indonesian and to help our neighborhood improve their English skills.

WE love you all and thank God you are standing with us on this journey. We are loving our God more each day as He provides for our every need and loves us beyond measure. Thank you for your prayers and encouragement.

Joel and Bethany Potter

1 comment:

jmp said...

Hey- I think you accidentally reposted your whole update email here. It's mostly redundent with the wedding post below... Just thought you should know ;)