Thursday, January 04, 2007

What Will a Day Bring

Every morning with my coffee, I ponder that question. This morning that line of questioning started early (7am) due to the sound of my neighbor chopping up the large tree that fell on the neighborhoods only phone line due to a wind storm yesterday morning. Needless to say the phone cable was less than able to handle such weight and we were once again in the dark as far as communication went. Later that same morning, our front and side yards were bombed with coconuts and and palm fronds falling from high above. Some other neighbors chose 7:15am to harvest the coconuts that they had knocked down into our yard and that means that I had to open the gate at the somewhat early hour and then I proceded to fall foolishly to the groud after slipping on the wet grass. Good thing I didn’t fall to the ground due to the falling coconuts…

 

What do your days start with?

 

Right now, I snicker when I think of the things that take place here. I have to honestly say that we’re ready for some time in a familiar area. Although, it’s amazing how quickly what looks and sounds like the bizarre become the normal. We can speak authoritatively on that. When the mosque sounds it’s 5-times-daily call to prayer, it’s barely noticed by us anymore. The fact that the majority of traffic in major cities is made up of small 100cc motorbikes is no longer out of the ordinary to us. The smell of the much beloved Durien fruit is starting to fade into the rest of the odd smells here and that’s quite remarkable for anyone who has ever had the chance to smell a durien fruit.

 

And while I’m in the process of learning that all things that seems odd, unfamiliar, and sometimes frustrating can often lead to feeling side-lined spiritually, I’m to put my mind on the things above not the things here on earth, not even the familiar comfortable things here or in Springfield MO, where we call home. A focus on anything but my position in Christ above is not going to be able to sustain me.

 

Not that what is comfortable and familiar is bad, but it shouldn’t be sought after. Only by looking towards our sustainer, Jesus Christ, can we cope with the unfamiliar, the uncomfortable, and sometimes even the offensive smells that exist.

 

Joel

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Father has been teaching me some of the same, and I'm finally becoming a willing but oft slow learner. Love you all, Mom in MO

Bek. said...

My day usually starts with coffee on my couch as I spend some time with God. It's usually pretty quiet since Kim hasn't gotten up yet and I enjoy the view from our living room window.
I'm so glad God's continuing to share with you more about who He is and why He has you in Indonesia. I can't wait though until you are in the same country again and I can call you easily.
I love you!

Joe and Terri said...

At first, I thought the coconuts falling had to do with the storm, too. Did it seem like the sky was falling? Sounds too much like Guyana. Praise the Lord for all you have experienced. It sure makes for some fun blogs!!!
Love to all of you,
Mom