Tuesday, August 21, 2007

24 hours and counting

Nani with Owen and Jack

Owen at 3 months

In less than 24 hours, we will be on our first of 6 flights "home". We take off tomorrow am bright and early. Today, we are all packed, the last load of laundry is being done, we are taking our leftover belongings to our storage unit, we have an apt. with a lawyer to do our will, we will go see my Dad and say goodbye, we will clean the house up so Mom is off to a good start, and Joel will grill steaks tonight, our last probably for 3 years! It's a full day, but hopefully not stressful.

Last year when we left, my emotions were well in check. I think it hit me several days later, what we had just done. This year, the tears are right at the surface, ready to fall at the thought of leaving my family and friends once again. Last night we had dinner with my best friend and her family. I found myself joking and trying to be light hearted but my heart was anything but light.

Mom, I think is also feeling it more this year. She has a bright future ahead but our leaving, this time, I think is going to be harder for her than we all thought. Dad's mental state declined a bit over the last few weeks but they have reinstated a medicine that will help that, so we are hopeful he and Mom will have great times ahead. She even bought him a model airplane kit that she'll keep here at the house so when he comes over, he'll have a fun "project" to work on. He is so excited – Saturday can't come soon enough!

So many of you have shared via phone calls, emails or in person that you have been praying for us daily. We cannot express with words how much that means to us. Knowing that you all – all over the world – are uphoding us in prayer is so humbling. We are truly blessed with the best partners in the world – all of you!!!!

I'll do my best to keep the blog going once we arrive in Indonesia. Those 4am risings once we arrive and I can't sleep due to jet lag are a great time to catch up on blogging. And I'm known for writing some pretty zany things at 4 am!! Keep a watch out and thanks for reading along with us. Mark H., thanks for being the link for so many of us; keeping us connected to our friends. You may not see it this way, but for those of us living so far away, you have an awesome communications ministry. See, anyone can be in ministry!!

See you on the other side!

Bethany

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, wish I could have made it down to Missouri when you were there, but that's the way the ball bounces I guess. Best of luck and fly safe!

Brian M in MN

Tom Demers said...

We'll be praying for you!! Hopefully a visit to you can happen before you return!

Bek. said...

Those are great pictures of the boys and Lynn. It was so wonderful to be able to see you guys and spend time with the boys making memories. I love you and will miss you every day. But, I know that God has you right where he wants you. And now you can settle into your own place finally!!!

Jodi said...

Praying for you all as you head back. Praying your flight will be smooth and there will be no sickness. Praying your set up in your new home will go well.
Lots of prayers going up for you and your mom!! Great seeing you in the states, maybe we will see you in Papua. :) Love you guys

Jeff AND DeAnna said...

Great Pictures!

Hugs and prayers as you all travel!

Love ya,
ddm

Anonymous said...

I loved the pictures of Nani and the boys. Handsome little guys. I have been praying for all of you today very fervently. Expecially your Mom. Saying good bye is not easy even when we know it is what the Lord wants and we want it, too. Love you guys. Will continue to keep all of you in our prayers.
Hillengrandma

Anonymous said...

Look for the smoke of the prayers of the saints on your behalf while you fly--they will be going up from all around the globe in the jungles and the cities in at least 4 continents! We are trusting Jesus for His closeness when you feel the separation from family. We do that daily as well as so many other missionary families around the globe. Go with God.
Love you, Dad in Guyana