Thursday, November 08, 2007

Owen and other things

Just an update on Owen.  Thanks for praying for him. I'd say overall he is doing better but he's still throwing up every afternoon.  He is done with the medicine and didn't seem to have any side effects from it so we are thankful for that.  If he continues to throw up tomorrow, we'll call the nurse again and see what she says to do.  

 

Jack's eye cleared up quickly and his tummy issues seem to be leveling out.  The milk allergy seems to be our worst giant right now.  I forgot and fried an egg in margarine yesterday and today, he has diarrhea again.  It's so hard to remember little things like that! 

 

The power was out almost all day today – from 9 am to 5 pm.  We ended up at the guest house where the generator was on for most of the day. We are so thankful there is a generator there!  Joel worked at our house, hooking up a generator that we are borrowing, for the majority of the day.  It was a hard day for him as the wiring in our house is pretty screwed up and so it melted the original switch he hooked it up to. It seems that it takes two times to get things to work right.  So far, with anything we've tried, we can't get things to work the first time.  By the time 5pm rolled around, he got it all figured out and we had power for about 15 minutes before the power came back on.  We'll take 15 minutes over none!

 

An NTM family that has just returned  to Papua from their furlough is staying at the guest house this month.  They and their partners are relocating villages in the tribe they work in so the mom and four boys will be here while the dad goes out to build their house in the new village.  Jack is loving having the boys here – ages 9-3.  Today they played with lincoln logs for like 3 hours!  Jack was in his element!

 

My days lately have been full of baking, cooking, and grocery shopping twice  a week.  I make Jack's bread each week since the bread we can buy here has milk in it, then Owen's baby food, French bread for the guest house meals, granola, yogurt, salsa, etc.  Well as you can see, I'm keeping busy. 

 

We sure miss home this holiday time.  The wallpaper on our computer is fall leaves and we have a pumpkin on the table to make it feel like it's not 100* outside and 85* inside! We can imagine, right?

 

Ok that's all for now!  Thanks for keeping up with us!

 

bethany

 

 

3 comments:

Teri said...

Bethany, I think I will always stand back in wonder as I hear of your tales. Your Mom told me last Fri about Owen... I'm so glad he's feeling a bit better.
You must be quite the little chef! I know it gets old, but I would just love to spend the week in my kitchen and just create food... breads especially, it's just therapeutic for me.
Please pray for my Mom, she continues to decline and they now think she's dealing with rejection, possibly another transplant?? It can't come fast enough... We are going down today to spend the weekend.
The kids are keeping us busy, wish we could have coffee and catch up. God is so loving and faithful to us, supplies our every need, both emotionally, physically.
Love to you all,
Teri

Josh and Brin said...

That was a pretty fancy bathroom in your newsletter, congrats! And Bethany I am seriously impressed with all the scratch cooking you can do in the midst of being a mom and language learning. I am still afraid of my pressure cooker!
I can relate to all your giardia and other mysterious parasites. It seems like we're always passing around something, lately it is just lice Ha!
Great job on your blog, keep it up!

Bek. said...

I wish I could stay at your guest house!!!
Nice work on the cooking B.
I think you are amazing and I'm really thankful to be your sister :). Love ya!