Friday, June 16, 2006

Arisan Dasawisma Ibu Ibu - a cultural experience!

Here on the Island of Java, each city is divded into several smaller communities called R.W.’s or “air –way’s” and within those communities are even smaller divisions and those small communities are called R.T.’s or “air – tay’s”. We live in R.W.- 1, R.T.- 4. Basically, our R.T. is our street. It is quite long and has many homes on it. There is one man who is an elected volunteer (nice how that works!) who is recognized by the government to represent his R.T. and he is known as Pak R.T. or Mr. R.T. Each month, the R.T.’s have meetings for the men and women (separately, of course). This past Monday was when the official meeting for June was held and we were able to go.
Our closest neighbors offered to come and get each of us and take us to our respective meeting. It is important for us to make a presence at these as we are new here and to truly be a part of your community, they must see you participate in this way.
Ibu Zulaika came to get me promptly at 4 and we made our way to the house where the meeting was being held. We were both dressed nicely, I in a skirt and she in slacks, which I came to find out later was the better of the two options. When we arrived there were already 30 or so ladies there all seated on the floor on ratan mats with their legs bent and feet pointed toward the wall or “indian style”. This is a very important thing for me to know, as to point one’s foot at someone is considered very impolite. This is where wearing pants comes in handy. Now you must understand that these women, for the most part are a good foot shorter than me and it is much easier for them, in a small room with up to 50 women in it, to sit scrunched together with their legs tucked nicely under them. Not to mention they’ve been sitting like this for hours on end their whole lives. Well this spoiled American, who is used to sitting in chairs was to learn a lesson. First of all, a knee length skirt is not suitable for sitting on a floor and second I’d better get used to being a bit uncomfortable.
As everyone arrived (all 50 or so), they paid what seemed to be dues to several different ladies who were collecting different sums of money. Once all the money was collected a young girl began the meeting by reading from a laminated card with what looked like the schedule for the afternoon’s events. Next another lady welcomed everyone and specifically noted that they had 2 new members with them, myself and another gal, like me, a “M.” who was new to the area also. Then followed a “prayer” silently with everyone standing and bowing their heads hands clasped in front of them. It lasted about 5 seconds and then they all sang what sounded like an anthem of some kind. I later found out it was the neighborhood song declaring that they wanted their neighborhood to be a place where all are welcome and where they care for one another. I was impressed with this and thought that perhaps back home we could learn a lesson or two from these ladies about hospitality!
The evening proceed and with each phase of the program, I observed, in silence, all that was going on. I cannot truly communicate with these ladies yet, and being there was a great reminder to me of why I am here learning this language. I desire to build relationships with them and without the ability to communicate verybally, I am hindered from ever doing that. This evening was a great cultural experience for both Joel and I at our respective meetings. As we learn more about this culture, we are made aware of the mixing that exists in their beleifs. Animism is still at the heart of each person here and layered on top is the fastest growing religion in the world. It is our hearts desire to see our friends freed from bondage and to understand the freedom they can have only through Christ. We hope one day that they will be able to understand clearly from the Word what has been done for them by their Father and that they can know Him personally, without reserve!

3 comments:

Bek. said...

B-
That's fascinating! The meeting that you went to sounded very interesting. I'm talking to the Father for you!
Lots of love!

team bartlett said...

You're experiences are so fascinating to read! I've never read such a detailed first-hand account of what goes into being on the foreign mission field. God bless you guys! Kim (Holland)

Anonymous said...

Hello Potters! This is Steph O'Donnell from HSBC, and as I was reading your blog, I completely related to what you were talking about. Last summer when I was in Indonesia, I had worn a knee-length skirt for our Sunday meetings. This was not an issue for the home we were in for the morning service, as they had chairs for everyone in the room, but that wasn't the case for the evening. As we entered, we sat down on the mat, and I was quickly informed that my feet could not point at anything but the wall. I honestly remember trying to shift my weight without moving and drawing attention to myself SO many times throughout the evening...it's just not a comfortable way to sit, especially in a skirt!

It's great to read about the many ways God is working!