Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Reality hits!

As promised, more photos. This is a typical afternoon around 3:30pm in our yard. Between 15 and 30 kids usually show up when the gate is the slightest bit open and we're out on the porch. They won't come in until I say "Silakan" - please (or help yourself) and hold out my hand in an invitation. But then once they do, watch out cause they sure know how to have fun! Jack is always the center of attention with both boys and girls - he loves it mostly. He loves his walker and they always ask for us to bring it out. He is taking more steps every day but still prefers crawling as he can go much faster that way. He is a bit wobbly on his feet still.

I had a "I don't want to hear or speak Indonesian" day today. Joel has been very gentle with me and has allowed me to busy myself with other things. One day in 8 of language study isn't bad right? That's what I'm telling myself. :) He is still a rock and sponge all at the same time! Hey that could be a riddle. He's solid for us as a family and has hardly had an ounce of culture/language shock. His brain is a sponge and is just soaking in all the new words every day. In class each day we are getting around 75 - 100 new words to use and phrases to say. Needless to say at around 11am, I'm done! Then we have to get up in front of our teacher and other student (Caleb- from Korea) and act out the text we learned that day. Whew! That's
just the morning! I have to get in another 2-3 hours of study and talking in Indonesian and Joel has to get at least 4 hours! Bed time comes none too quickly for us each day and we are sleeping hard!

With each new day comes the grace and strenght to begin again. God renews us through his Spirit within us and we march on as soldiers of the cross. And when I say march that is literal. We have to walk to school each morning and that includes 2 very large hills (see the other photo included here)! God has enabled us though and will continue to do so! Thank you for
praying for us and supporting us in this endeavor. Some day we'll know enough language to lead someone to Christ. That will make the process worth every moment!

Bethany

No comments: