Thursday, October 05, 2006

Best Friends

Do you have a best friend? I mean someone other than your spouse or siblings.  Someone you share everything with. The kind of person you can call up at anytime and chat about anything or nothing.  Someone who, when you need to get out of the house, will at the last minute arrange to meet you at Walmart so you can shop together.

I have one of those friends.  Her name is Jolene and we have been best friends for more than 20 years.  She knows me inside and out and no matter where I’ve lived over the years (and that’s a lot of places – 4 states and 2 countries- short term) she always came to see me when she could and kept in touch, never writing me off because I left the world we both knew together.  She is a one of a kind friend and I’m missing her a lot these days.  Just before we left to come here, we did our very best to get together as much as possible and our wonderful husbands helped make that possible by taking care of the kids for us.  For all that we got together though, it just wasn’t enough.  I’ve never been this far away from her before for this long and now that I look back, I should have just had her family move in with us while we were preparing to come here.  If she didn’t have 3 kids and a husband, I’d have packed her in my suitcase and brought her with me. 

I guess this is a sappy kind of blog but I am writing it for 2 reasons.  #1 – I want her to know just how much I miss her and love her and #2 – I want to encourage you. If you have a best friend or even just several close friends, take advantage of every opportunity you have with them.  You never know when you will live worlds apart. God has given us each other – the body of Christ – people, because he knows we need other people.  If He has blessed you with a 1 of a kind friend then count yourself extra blessed.  Don’t take it for granted that you’ll always have them close by.  Love your family and friends like they might not be here tomorrow!  I promise you won’t be disappointed.

By the way, when was the last time you talked with your best friend and told them you love them?   Bethany

1 comment:

Bek. said...

I have a couple of amazing best friends: Christine and Rachel. Amazing women of God who are like sisters and one of whom will be my sister (yea!). I miss you B!