Thursday, October 05, 2006

open doors

Just wanted to add a quick update about something that happened today. 

Just as we were leaving for school this afternoon, Jack decided he would begin tearing the paper coverings on one of his books!  Aahhh frustration.  So our house helper and I decided, as he loves his books, it would be better just to remove the papers from all of them and save them for when he’s bigger and can appreciate their value.  As we were doing this, Jack reached up and took a book from the shelf called “The Lamb”. It is a children’s book written by an NTM Missionary telling the chronological story of the gospel from creation to Christ.  Our pembantu can speak a bit of English so she sat down with Jack, not knowing what book she had and began to look at it with him. I stood there amazed at what I was seeing!  She is Mus. in religion and I’ve been praying for opportunities to talk with her.  She has to broach the subject though if we talk about anything spiritual or we can get in trouble with the government (and everyone else in our group) so I have to be very careful.  I just said, “That book is about when the world began”, so she’d know the subject.  She looked up and said yes, I can see that from the photos.  Then she asked, “is the story in the Bible the same as in our “book”?’  My heart jumped!  There’s my door!  Unfortunately we had to leave at that moment but I said, “I don’t know what your book says but maybe we could talk about it sometime.” 

I can’t tell you how excited I am that this happened today.  Jack could rip up all the book jackets for all I care if an opportunity like that comes from it!  Pray for me to have wisdom with this but to not let the opportunity go by me.  Pray pray pray!!!

 

Bethany

1 comment:

Joe and Terri said...

Yeah for kids. They are great door openers. We will be praying. Thanks too for sharing about best friends--I totally agree. Love you.