Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Thursday

Today is "Malaria Medicine Day" for us.  The region of Indonesia we are in has lots of malaria carrying mosquitos so that means that each week, we get to take our dose of medicine as a family.  This is an area I am a bit scaredy cat of.  I have seen what malaria can do to someone and I just want to avoid it at all costs.  Please pray for us regarding this.  We need to be wise about when we are outside and to have "Thursday Malaria Med Day" be an unforgettable part of our routine!

 

Today is also a new day, I keep reminding myself.  The last several days here have been hard as the power has not been on for very much of the day.  Yesterday it was out from before 11am till about 8pm.  It's very hot here and our house doesn't have screens yet so we can't open the windows at all.  It makes the house feel like a sauna and then some.  We came over to the guest house where there is a generator but that means that we don't get much unpacking done at our own house!  We are trying to get a generator this week.

 

Our house is coming along slowly.  Much more slowly than I'd like but with the heat here and tow little boys, I suppose we're doing  well.  We also got our fridge two days ago and so that means we now can eat at our own house.  It was good exercise to go back and forth to the guest house but not very convenient.  We also have gas for our stove and drinking water so that we are now, minus a phone line, pretty much self sufficient at our house.  The house still needs quite a bit of work done on it but in time, we'll get there. 

 

We will begin our orientation for this region probably next week some time.  We are excited to get into our ministry here full time but we realize that being settled first at our house is important.  We will also be having our first team meeting with the other two families that will make up this "town support team" in the next few weeks.  They are great families and we are so looking forward to working with them. 

 

Ok, that's all from this side of the world for now.  We'll chat again soon!

 

Bethany

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go keeping up with the blog. How are you able to be online without a phone line? Love to hear all the news. Love to hear about God's provision and protection. I know it's scary for the little ones to fall. I know you're right about God catching Owen. That's exactly what happened. Praise him. Also great to hear of how the house and adjustment to Java is coming. I know what you mean about the inconvenience power outages, too. Hang in there. God is good. Steve

Anonymous said...

Bethany, I love reading your blogs. You are a very interesting writer. I am glad things are going well. Will continue to pray for His provision for you. I talked to your Mom Tues. evening. She said things were going well for her. Still praying for her, too. LOVe,
Hillengrandma

Bek. said...

Oh-I feel for you! I remember the days without power and the bugs-not the fun part of serving God for sure!
Water games are fun when it gets hot :). That's the CM person in me saying that.
I love you!